If you are a pet owner, you may worry about how your products you use in your home can impact the health and well-being of your pet. You might want to know how your pet will react to a certain aroma, like an essential oil that is diffusing, or a certain oil that we have applied topically to ourselves. After much research and studies, dōTERRA has found that aromatherapy, using only high quality dōTERRA essential oils, can be just as beneficial to your pets, as it is for yourself. So if you are wondering about using essential oils around your four legged babies, or you are curious about the benefits of essential oils for them, then have fun reading here for some great suggestions for essential oils and pets!
When using essential oils, for yourself or for your pet, please ALWAYS use only high-quality Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils, like dōTERRA. Going to a pharmacy or grocery store, and buying lesser-quality essential oils, is just simply dangerous. Those oils are made with additives and fillers, and are generally diluted with unknown carrier oils that could certainly trigger pet sensitivities, as well as sensitivities within your own self.
While there are some essential oils that are discouraged for use with pets, there are many others that can safely and appropriately be used with your pets. Here are just a few essential oils you can absolutely, and safely, use around your pets, and even topically on your pets:
- Cedarwood: Helps repel pests and promote healthy skin and coat
- Myrrh and Frankincense: Can help sooth skin and promote health skin and coat
- Clary Sage, Lavender, Serenity: Calms anxious feelings and excitability, great for dogs who have anxious feelings during separation from their human
- Peppermint: Soothes joint discomfort, and also repels pests
- Ginger and DigestZen: supports healthy digestion
- Helichrysum and Lavender: Used topically to help soothe and relieve skin issues
- Basil: Is a great air freshener and has antibacterial and cleansing properties
With much delight, I am happy to announce that dōTERRA has a new Veterinary Advisory Board coming this year. I can’t wait for dōTERRA to be able to provide us with more education on essential oil safety for our furry friends! Stay tuned for further updates!